Wednesday 9 October 2013

Into the unknown

After spending the weekend cramped up with nowhere to stretch my legs, I was happy to get back on the bike.

I got up and going for around for around nine and headed for the Polish/Ukraine border. It took about 45 minutes to get there and I was able to get some supplies at the duty free supermarket.

I phoned home to let my mam know that I was off and didn't know when I'd be able to call again, then made my way to the pedestrian border crossing.

It was really straight forward. By which I mean I am so surprised how easy it was. I was expecting interrogations and bribes, at the very least I thought I'd have to empty all my panniers for some stuck up bureaucrat.

Genuinely, I walked through the Polish border, handed the guard my passport. That got scanned. Walked about ¼ mile to the Ukraine checkpoint, handed my passport to the guard, that got scanned and stamped. I walked to the customs checkpoint and in mime was asked what was in the bags. The guard questioning me really made his own assumptions and mimed “clothing" and “food" whilst pointing at the bags.

And that was it. My first real border crossing.

I hope the Russian border is that easy. Fingers crossed.

Now I have to make my way to Lviv.

No comments:

Post a Comment