Wednesday 6 November 2013

Kursk day 2

Not wanting to cycle with a wheel missing a spoke, I decided to stay in Kursk for another day. I couldn't justify staying at the posh hotel I stayed in last night so I found a cheap hotel down the road and checked out.

I needed to get some cash out so tried to take some out from the ATM in the hotel foyer to no avail. Luckily the English speaking concierge that helped me with my bags when I checked into the hotel was just starting his shift. He took me to the bank next door and translated the ATM for me.

I made my way to the hotel down the road and checked in. An elderly lady who spoke a phrase or two in English was at the desk and showed me to my room, handing me my room key with a key fob the size of a small child. The room was basic but clean and after I settled in (and left my bike in the security guard's hut) I headed off out for some grub.

It was around 2 miles away but I managed to find a supermarket . I stocked up on my usual diet (if I've not mentioned it before I have been living on chocolate bars with nuts, bananas, water, 7up, bread and whatever meat I can get) and treated myself with what passed as a pizza.

When I got to the till, the cashier screamed her head off. There was a fish from one of the counters wriggling around in a plastic bag. To be honest it scared the hell out of me too. Good to know the food's fresh here though. Maybe too fresh.

Back home, I had my pizza then looked for a place go have my bike fixed. Turns out the closest place was where I was meant to be heading to next. A good 140 miles away. I figured I'd have to leave crazily early in the morning to make good with time. And with the weather being cold but dry I thought I'd make it for sure, even with the wonky wheel.

I planned my route for the next day, got all my bags ready and had an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment