Sunday 17 November 2013

The day I gave up..

I woke up about 4am and looked out the window. I didn't known what I was expecting to see, but what I got was torrential rain. It was pitch black when I set off.

I made my way out of the city whilst trying to avoid the constant puddles (which were actually the size of lakes) not only to stay relatively drier, but it was a 50/50 affair with whether or not there was a pothole lurking under the turgid waters.

Getting onto the major truncation to the next town, I was a under a constant barrage of honking lorries, angry looking Russians (unaccustomed to cyclists) and, of course, the elements. I persevered on.

I decided to have a break and pulled over to seek refuge at a bus stop. I can't really explain what went through my head at that time but I looked at the road ahead, looked at the skies, looked at my fingers (which had gone white with numb) and though “sod this".

I turned around. I had already cycled 40 miles, but to even imagine I had another 100 to the next town filled me with despair. I had really given up. In my head I was going to go back to Kursk, catch a train to Moscow. Then go home, somehow.

It took me an age to get back to Kursk as my wheel had deteriorated even more. I knew then that I had made the right decision, what if I had have broken the wheel completely in the middle of nowhere? I dread to think.

I somehow got to the station, managed to get a train ticket and actually got on the train with little problem. Well, there was a slight problem. As I was getting onto the train with my bike frame, my glasses fell off and fell between the carriage and the platform. Goodbye glasses! Luckily I only really need my glasses to prevent me from going crossed eyed when I'm tired.

On the train, I was in a “Platzkart" carriage, so instead of the 4 bed ‘room' I had experienced before, this was 50 bed and open plan. I got the bike into what appeared to be the smokers section (just the bit in between the carriages) and got my crap onto the shelf above my bed. I made the bed with the bedding I was handed and fell asleep straight away. I was exhausted, emotionally drained and soaked right through.

When I got into Moscow I went and tried to get a sim card for my phone so I could use the internet, but to no avail. However, I did manage to get a hotel booked on the phone shop owner's computer.

So I found the hotel and got all my crap settled in then rang my parents. I told them I wanted to come home, but they told me to go and do some touristy things, see how I feel and then go from there.

I really wanted to go home though.

No comments:

Post a Comment