Saturday 21 September 2013

Dresden.

With that scary Chinese guy keeping me up most of the night I decided to get an early ride. Got up at six, had breakfast and was out by and on the road by eight.

It was a beautiful day but by the time I got out of the city (and away from cobbles and potholes) I noticed my front wheel was slightly buckled. It wasn't too bad to be honest so I  it would be good enough to get me to Dresden where I'd get it fixed.

It was actually a really good day of cycling. It was warm, the wind was behind me and besides the wobbly wheel the roads were immaculate.

Got to Dresden around three and found the hostel I booked. They were kind enough to let me put my bike in a WC they never used (although the “locked" it every time by using a scalpel to twist the catch from the outside, I could see the plastic deteriorate every time and I worried that the bike would be locked in there forever)

Found a bike shop online that promised that they were the fastest in Dresden, the only problem was they closed early on a Saturday so I'd have to wait until Monday for it to be fixed!

I tried to find something to do for the evening and happened across a venue that was hosting an old school american hardcore punk band called Bad Brains. But despite trying my hardest to find the venue I gave up, it was in some industrial complex that I just wasn't happy being near so I got a Subway and ate it on the way back to the hostel.

Sunday I went and did a little exploring. I am currently trying to upload pictures on to a flickr account so once that's up to date I'll post a link.

I went to a German market (I call it that because whilst I lived in Manchester, every December they would have a “German market") and all the smells left me starving. In the end I ended up having a joint of roast hog with sauerkraut and pan fried potatoes. With a beer of course.

Dresden was an awesome city. Remnants of its communist past, pre WW1 buildings and modern architecture made the city ooze with culture and diversity. Like I said, once I upload pictures I'll pit up a link.

For food that night I got a massive Hawaiian pizza for about €7. It was amazing.

Monday morning I was up and taking my bike to be repaired. I asked the guy to true the wheel, replace brakes and clean the chain set. He told me its be ready by Wednesday. The desperation in my face made him change his mind to Tuesday. Thankfully.

I can't remember what I did for the rest if the day apart from food shopping and laying in bed reading Carl Sagan's Cosmos! Wow, despite its age its incredible read!

Tuesday, I picked up the bike, and was on my way to Görlitz, a half German/half Polish town divided by a river.

No comments:

Post a Comment