Friday 13 September 2013

It's getting tougher!

This blog is for my Taid (grandfather) who asked my Mam when I'd be writing my next blog!

So. This trip is getting tougher and tougher. I was almost on the verge of giving up yesterday. The reason? I hate German roads/cycle paths.

They have been a literal pain in the arse (and wrists, neck and shoulders) for my entire time in Germany. I know I've ranted already about how or they are but yesterday was the last straw.

Let me go back two days ago. I'd spent the morning on a guided tour around the Jägermeister factory (well worth a visit if you're in the area) and I was in a great mood. Not even the rain was putting me off my trip south towards Leipzig.

I'm not going to go into too much repetitive detail, in part because im trying to block it out already, but the cycle route took me across 10 miles of a tractor track that was just slabs of concrete that made your bones rattle every metre; 8 miles of a major road between two villages that was barely even a dirt track (despite the fact I was cycling through porridge I still managed to get around 13mph); and to top it all off, every single town/city I rode through was cobbled. Why? What benefit could cobbling major roads through towns bring to the table? It's not as if it slowed down traffic. Just cyclists..

I got as far as a place called Quendlinburg. A UNESCO protected historical town. I'll you one guess as to why it's protected? That's right, for its cobbles!! By this point I was frothing at the mouth and just wanted somewhere to stay so ended up in a little hotel just west of the town.

Much of the same yesterday. Although I did manage to get onto the B6 for large chunks of the day! This meant that I was able to enjoy some of the best roads I've ridden on so far. Until I got into the towns that is! I made some good progress to a place called Halle before disaster struck again!

About 5 miles south of Halle I was doing really well. I bad about 20 miles left of the day and was zooming along quite nicely before some arrogant driver made it quite clear that HE didn't want me on the road (Despite the fact I had no problems before hand with any other drivers.) and he forced me onto the cycle path. after about 15 seconds of being on the pothole ridden death trap I hit a pothole so hard my tire popped.

I was so angry I almost punched the floor. I tried to repair the puncture but it was so big I just couldn't fix it. The oy option I hadeft was to walk it 5 miles back to Halle and catch a train to Leipzig. What a fiasco that turned out to be.

I managed to get a ticket just fine and even managed to get the bike down a flight of stairs (no sign of lifts for disabled) then back up onto the platform to await for my train.

The train arrived later than planned and I never knew I had to go to the back of the train to put my bike on. When I got there the conductor looked at me, shouted “No" and now the whistle in my face before getting on the train looking smug. I was so angry I wanted to cry (I also wanted to run after the train and punch his face as it hung out the carriage window but thought better off it).

I managed to find another train which was already waiting on the platform.  Got on it no problem and dreamt of a good night sleep in a bed.

Finding the hostel was a bit difficult in that it was in one of countless back alley plazas that dot Leipzig but once I found it, I was already beginning to feel better. A pretty punk girl at the reception and a nice hot shower was just what I needed to forget the crap I've had throughout Germany.

It's weird, I never in a million years have wanted to get out of a country so fast as I do now. I'm sick of Germany. Its sour faced citizens, it's over priced cuisine and despicable treatment of cyclists has left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I just want out.

Not long now though. I'm having a rest today. Then it shouldn't take me long to get into Poland (maybe a couple of days via Dresden)

It's a shame though, because I bet under different circumstances I would have loved it here.. Ah well.

Edit: My front wheel is slightly buckled and I've almost got a bald rear wheel tyre. Joy!!

Me - being wet and miserable

1 comment: